Nail Polish – The Non Toxic Kind

Does your little fashionista LOVE having her nails polished?  Are you concerned about the toxins in your nail polish harming your little one or does your child love having their nails polished but then sucks their lovely polished thumb?

All great reasons to use non toxic nail polish…no worries, no toxins!

Why is Piggy Paint as Natural as Mud?
Piggy Paint is as Natural as Mud in the sense that every ingredient in the polish is biodegradable with no traces or residues left behind, thus it would make an excellent addition to your mulch pile. The acrylic and polyurethane resins are present in the polish in the form of latexes-emulsions in water-very similar in form and function to milk. The term “resin” is quite generic and refers to any polymer which can form a film as it dries. In this sense, proteins, celluloses, sugars, and DNA, to name a few “natural” polymers, are resins and none of these are any less harmful than the resins we use in our polish.

What should I do if there is separation in the nail polish?
Although separation is very minor, occasionally a light ring of color will appear at the top of the bottle. Simply shake the bottle to mix the polish.

What is the shelf life of your polish?
Piggy Paint has a shelf life of several years, though there may be a slight tendency for the polish to thicken as the months go by. To correct this, add a drop or two of water to the bottle and give it a good shake!

What should I do if my polish thickens up?
If thinning is needed, add 1 or 2 drops of water, and shake well. For best results, gently remove any nail polish clumps present on the brush with a paper towel.

Is there anything toxic in the nail polish?
No. There are no toxic chemicals. The resins are polyacrylic and polyurethane latexes with residual monomers well below 100 parts per million. The only co-solvent is a diglycol ether. All colorants are FDA-certified for cosmetic use.

What should be done to prepare nails before putting on the polish?
Simply, clean nails with Piggy Paint Nail Polish Remover or soap and water. Healthy nails naturally produce a mixture of oils and proteins, which serve to protect, beautify and enhance their appearance. Normal nail polishes remove these substances from the nails, requiring the user to prepare their nails with other products. However, since Piggy Paint Nail Polish is a waterborne polish, it does not remove the oils so your nails remain strong and healthy.

How long will it take for my nails to dry?
Piggy Paint dries to a tack-free state nearly as fast as regular polish, though it takes longer to reach its ultimate hardness. We recommend using multiple thin coats since they will dry faster than one thick coat. If your hands are cold, the temperature is cool, or there is high humidity in the area, it may take longer for the coats to dry. For maximum chip resistance, use the following application instructions:

  • Wash hands with soap and water.
  • Apply 2 -3 thin coats of Piggy Paint™.
  • Air dry 60 seconds.
  • Blow dry polished nails for 1 minute with hair dryer set on warm heat/low blower setting. For safety purposes, please follow manufacturer’s instructions on blow dryer and always monitor your child.

Do I have to use a blow dryer to dry her nails?
No, but it is recommended for maximum chip resistance. Since Piggy Paint™ is water-based and does not contain harsh chemicals, it takes approximately 4 to 6 hours for ultimate hardness to be reached. The blow dryer just speeds up this process. Another alternative is to wait and polish your child’s nails after bath time, before they go to bed. This will allow the polish to cure overnight.

How hard is it to remove the polish? Do I need nail polish remover?
Piggy Paint can be removed within 1-4 days with rubbing alcohol. Afterwards, the polish becomes increasingly more difficult to remove, particularly for dry, porous nails or toenails. At about 5-6 days a nail polish remover will be necessary. Our Piggy Paint Nail Polish Remover is specially formulated for our polish. Removing polish from toenails can be a little more difficult. Soaking with a cotton ball helps.

Will Piggy Paint Nail Polish stains come out of carpet?
On the carpets we tested, Piggy Paint Nail Polish was easily removed, as long as the stain was taken care of quickly (before it dries). We have had several customers praise Piggy Paint for not ruining their hardwood floors, as well as their carpets. This is not a guarantee; but you have a much better chance of saving your floors with Piggy Paint Nail Polish, since solvent-based polish stains set in immediately

Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: